Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2026

A Tribute to Toad Hall

 by Joel Guthrie

Apologies for the one-day-late post. I was just cleaning out the last of my old apartment all yesterday. It was a sentimental goodbye. Toad Hall is what we called it, apparently a spontaneous suggestion unrelated to the Wind in the Willows locale. This christening occurred some six years ago, when my now-fiancé Madi, her brother Matt, and our friend Kenzie first moved into this place. I myself helped hang pictures on the wall.

The apartment became a hallowed place for me and our burgeoning friend group. The parties and socials we threw there are countless and priceless. I'm sure the echoes of so much laughter, weird movies, and late night conversations are still ringing in the rafters.

Four years ago, Matt moved out of this apartment and bestowed ownership (rentership?) unto me. But before that happened, Madi called me with a request: to create a theme song for Toad Hall. Excited by the prospect, I immediately went to the piano and banged out some 80s-sounding thing in fifteen minutes. Using the demo as reference, our friend Mer affixed words to the melody. Afterwards, the three roommates filmed themselves sitcom-style. And here is that video, for your viewing pleasure:


1 comment:

  1. aw man, i dont think my brain has fully rationalized that this apartment set up no longer exists.

    ReplyDelete